My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Friday, September 30, 2022

Monesterio 30 September

 


Jamón iberico appetizer for midday meal
Walking into Monesterio 
Typical Extremedura landscape 

I like starting the days walk just before sunrise, currently about 8 am here in Spain. The air was cool and still and damp from last evening's rain, and quiet, too. The photos are of the Castillo de Torre just outside of La Real. I walked out of Andalusia this morning and into Extremedura, which seems to be the forgotten province of Spain. It is a more hilly region, with less arable land and less attractions for tourists. It's claim to any fame is that it is the region where the pigs fed on acorns to make jamón iberico are raised. Today's walk was about 13 miles, with mostly gentle but a few steep ascents, a gain of about 1000 feet, to an elevation of 2520 feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment