My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Monday, September 19, 2022

La Font de la Figuera 19 September 2022

 The day started uncertainly as i was not sure where I would be spending the night. I was hoping to walk to La Font de la Figuera , a small city abot 15 miles away,  and there was only one possibility in a hostal with places for twelve people (the only other possibility was the Polideportivo (sports pavilion), but entry was possible only after 11 pm and there were no mats or mattreses, both a real nonstarter). My othett options were to walk fron Vallada t ok Moixent, the next city, and either take a taxi farther on or to walk to La Font. In Moixent, I did the unthinkable, and I know Kathy will be shocked, when I stopped at a panaderia/cafeteria for a cafe con leche and croissant and actually called the hostal and made the reservation using my admittingly limited Spanish speaking skills. I was pleasantly surprised when the owner understood me and wished me "Buen Camino" until I arrived. The rest of the day's walk ewas done without worries.

 The landscape is definitely changing. I started the morning with orange groves in sight along the path. There was a lot of elevation gain (i.e., more difficult walking) by the afternoon and a completely different crop mix. La Font de la Figuera is my last day in the Communidad de Valencia, from now on I will be in Castilla-La Mancha. The crops here are now almonds, apricots, wine grapes,  sunflowers, and wheat. I enjoyed a cluster of unharvested red grapes as I was finishing my walk.

I arrived at the hostal about 1: 15 p.m. and checked in. The owner gave me a recommendation for a restaurant down by the highway, which turned to have a very good menu del dia of ensalada, paella with pork ribs, melón (what else?), and a bottle of red wine with agua gaseosa for only ten euro! Wow, another food coma!

Like Rick Steves says, when you travel, live like a local, figure out the local customs, and enjoy them. I certainly did today!

Last of the orange groves
Some pine forestd
Many crossings of the Rio Cañoles 
Crossing the high speed rail line
Paella with ribs
Of course, melón
The comedor 
Both Velenciano and Spanish are spoken here 

La Guardia Civil is in every city. Their motto is Todo por la Patria. A Guardia patrol waved at me during 

my walk today.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John, this is Nanci one of Kathy’s friends. I am enjoying your walk and especially the food section . Everyone of your meals has looked and I bet tasted wonderful. I can’t wait to hear about your walk and food adventures for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete