My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Valencia 14 September 2022

 Getting to Spain is always a tough compressed two day  marathon  due to the nine hour time change. I started at 4:30 am yesterday to get to SMF for my 7:17 flight to Dallas then wait 4 1/2 hours for the 9 hour flight to Madrid. In addition to passport check and customs control one must now show a special Covid QR code that you need to generate from the Spanish health ministry web site at home before you leave  showing vaccinations and boosters or negative tests. Since i took my back pack as a carry on, i was able to shave an hour off my airport arrival time by not having to wait for checked luggage. Next stop downstairs to purchase a Metro (subway) card from the automatic kiosk for the two line change trip to the Atocha train station. Trains to Valencia leave about once an hour, but the line to buy from a clerk had about 40 people in it and the train i wanted was leaving in 20 minutes. So back outside to the kiosk, punch in all the needed info and wave my credit card at it to get my ticket in five minutes. i walked through luggage screening, found the platform, and got on the train with six minutes to spare. Madrid to Valencia was only a bit over two hour ride, so after arriving at the station and a half hour walk to my hostel, it was 2 pm. I'm tired but after a shower, I went back out for midday meal and a supply stop at the grocery store. Hopefully I'll get more sleep tonight than the three hours I got on the plane. Tomorrow I start my camino walk.


Relaxing and repacking in my little hostel room to start walking
Accordionist playing for money on the Madrid Metro 

2 comments:

  1. Have a good walk John. It will be fun to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so looking forward to your trip! I think I've followed all of them.

    ReplyDelete