My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Almansa 20 September 2022

When I walked out of the hostal to begin my walk, I immediately noticed the cool morning air, so different from the humidity of previous days. Of course, it would heat up later, but it was the dry heat that I'm used to at home. The first five miles involved more elevation gain but then the rest of the walk was generally on the level. I am now in the Castilla-La Mancha region, Don Quixote country and the high plains south of Madrid. With the more level ground, the fields are larger, most of them devoted to growing wheat.

Due to disagreements on the beat route between the posted arrows and signs and the All Trails app, I ended up walking an extra two miles more than necessary. Neither one is always right, so it is  a guessing game.

Still I arrived about 2 pm after walking 18 miles and checked in at my first albergue of this walk. It is in a religious convent Las Esclavas de Maria. I have a single room with a private bathroom, just as nice as a hotel room for a donation of 7€..




Melon con jamon
The castle of Almansa


No comments:

Post a Comment