My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Higuerela 21 September 2022

I did an unthinkable first for myself today and took a taxi. Horrors, I never thought I would! Today's walk would have been 40 km or 25 miles. A decade ago, I would have done it, but at 73 years old, I don't think I'm good for much more than eighteen or twenty miles in a day. So I called (again horrors!) a taxi service in Almansa and they took me to about the halfway point. I eneded up walking 12.8 miles to Higuerela and still managed it at 3.4 mph, according to All Trails app. I apologize, but challenge any of my friends of a similar age to repeat this regimen day after day.

The walk was a lot of up and down, but nothing too severe. Unfortunately, more than the last half was on paved roads, which are faster, but much harder on the feet and legs.

I arrived about 1:30 pm, checked into the tiwn's albergue, took a shower with enough time to walk back to the restaurant I passed earlier, enjoy a nice menu del dia, and return to find  of all  things, another pilgrim who checked in, the first one I've seen in a week of walking. He is a Spaniard and we chatted fir a bit before he headed out for his meal.







No comments:

Post a Comment