My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Monteaguado de las Salinas 26 September 2019



Today's walk was about 29 km or 17 miles. A lot of uphill grades, at least that's what it seemed. My legs and feet are fine- no blisters, a few sore toes as usual, legs are fine. What bothers me is my right shoulder and the straps of my backpack. The bursitis from too many years of swinging a hammer is getting to me and is the only real problem. Just need to stop a bit more often and take the pack off during the day for five or ten  minutes at a time, plus a bit of ibuprofen
I walked into the little village of Monteaguado de las Salinas about 1 pm. It is a steep village with the church up on one hill and the castle up on another higher hill. Very picturesque. Very sleepy, too. The Casa Rural at the edge of the town is way laid back. I did get a room here after waiting about half an hour for them to prepare it . No problem, I just had a beer in the bar and waited till it was ready.The room is nice with a double bed and the bathroom down the hall, but it seems like I am the only one here tonight. Fifteen euro for the night. I walked up into the village after my shower and was buttonholed by the woman who owns the other casa rural, but  told her "No necesito."
After getting back to the casa rural, I went to the bar and told them I would like a meal as I preferred to eat during the afternoon rather than after 7 or 8 pm. Not sure they understood my poor Spanish, but about half way into the bottle of red wine and olives they brought, I ordered a ham and cheese sandwich and salad. Food was great and host very accommodating. I really enjoyed my meal and the everyday, laconic ambience. I am back in my room relaxing. I am sure I'll have a much better sleep tonight than in the Polideportivo the previous night. All is good (except no WiFi here, but that is a minor problem).

Monteaguado de las Salinas, church on one hill. Castle on highest hill

Wild west bar theme

Patron with John Deere cap

Unharvested washed out sunflowers

The Casa Rural/ bar




No comments:

Post a Comment