My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Cuenca 28 September 2019

Note: I have had very poor to no internet for almost a week. That is why I fell behind in posting to my blog. All caught up for now, but it may not last!

I did meet my first pilgrims on the route last night about nine pm. I took a walk around the village of Fuentes, when I saw an open window and a light with bunk beds at the church just 200 feet away from my pension. I went in and introduced myself to the French and Spanish men who were bicycle pilgrims and staying in the albergue there. Good thing I didn't check in earlier as there were only two beds there. I thought I might see them today, but they probably took the highway route and are far ahead by now.

I walked into Cuenca, the largest city between Valencia and Burgos about noon today. It was an easy walk of about 15 miles or 25 km through mostly farmland, wheat and sunflowers, with some pine forests. The wheat had been harvested much earlier, but I did see a few combines harvesting sunflowers. The torrential rains of a few weeks ago have put them way behind on the harvest schedule.

I called Luis, the hospitalero, when I arrived at the albergue, Casa del Peregrino, and he arrived shortly thereafter to check me in. Very friendly and very welcoming and he gave me some good information on the route and the albergues ahead. Cuenca is a very interesting city, built up on high and steep hills, steeper even than San Francisco,  with a multistory cathedral and homes hanging out over the cliffs. I did go sightseeing this afternoon and my photos here are the result. After a mid day meal (green beans with ham and cod cooked in tomato sauce), I am back at the albergue to shower, wash clothes, and rest and relax for tomorrow's walk. I will probably go out for a stroll tonight to take in the usual night time pouring out of families into the plazas to visit and relax in the cooler air.














The cathedral from side street below

Looking into the River gorge by the hanging houses

The hanging houses from the other side of the river

No comments:

Post a Comment