My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Toledo 30 September

Today ended up being a longer walk that I had hoped. it was 25 miles, over 40 km. I passed through several smaller towns on my way and was looking for accommodations in all of them, but there were none. I arrived near Toledo a little after 4 pm after 8 plus hours of walking, which did include a 45 minute lunch stop of ensalada and paella in Cobisa.

I knew that it would be a problem to find a place to stay here in Toledo on the weekend. The place was overrun with bus loads of tourists. I made my way up the steep hill to check out one albergue, which was full but might have two cancellations if I waited until 8:30 pm to find out. I decided to try the other albergue, which also was-this involved a walk all the way down the hill and across the river, then back up another hill. That one was full, as well, so back down the hill, across the river and back up the steep hill to the first albergue. Yes, I tried calling the second one, but they did not answer their phone. Anyway, I read and checked email while waiting three hours until I knew I could stay. In fact, I will stay two nights, so I can do a full day's sightseeing here tomorrow.


A crumbling hilltop fort near Almonacid


Irrigated, trellised olives, set up for mechanical harvest




My midday meal in Cobisa: Beer, Pamela, ensalada, and watermelon.


The view of Toledo before crossing the bridge to walk up the hill 

No comments:

Post a Comment