My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Friday, September 22, 2017

La Gineta 22 September

I did get a good nights sleep, 10 1/2 hours, so I was up and ready to start walking by 8:30. My apprehensions about the way marking were relieved, as once I was out of Albacete, I started to see the yellow arrows. Not a lot but mostly enough to follow the trail. I only had to back track about a quarter mile one time after an intersection that was not marked. My guidebook has good maps as does the Pocket Earth app on my iPad.

I walked about 20 km or 12 miles, which was plenty for the first day of this Camino. T walk was on farm roads away from the highway. The main activity was the onion harvest as grain has been harvested weeks ago and grapes are mostly done,too. Towards the end, I was feeling a hot spot on the bottom of one foot that could have led to a blister. After stopping to tape it up, I finished today's walk with no problems.

I was also apprehensive about finding a place to stay here in La Gineta. All the information I had said there were no accommodations at all in the village, but to check at the Ayuntamiento (city hall) in order to stay at the local Polideportivo (sports gymnasium). It turns out that there is now a little building next to the Guardia Civil that houses a donativo albergue with three private rooms. I've got it made for tonight! I'm writing this up at buffet restaurant for my midday meal. I had seafood paella, three different soups ( vegetable, fabadas asturianas, and lentil), chicken, and the good Spanish melon for dessert. 

Tomorrow will be another twelve mile walk, then I will start increasing the distances as I get in better shape.


Harvested onions awaiting transport


A little pump house. Note the yellow arrow that is faded and hard to see. This is what I am constantly looking for to be sure I am on the Camino path


Disked wheat field


The "mini albergue" where I am staying tonight. the large building behind is the Guardia Civil

No comments:

Post a Comment