My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

La Villa de Don Fadrique 27 September

Twenty seven km (16 miles) today on mostly flat farmland. Most of today's route was on a pretty much straight abandoned railroad right of way converted to a nature trail. I passed through the towns of Quintanar de la Orden and Puebla de Almoradiel before walking into the town of La Villa de Don Fadrique founded in the 1300's. After getting lost in the maze of medieval streets, I finally found the Plaza Mayor (thanks to Pocket Earth and a helpful local). I was going to the city hall to find out about staying in the polideportivo (where I could sleep on a wrestling mat after the badminton players left at ten pm.). That is when I noticed the Casa Rural on the plaza. I figured it would not hurt to ask, so I did. I could get my own room with private bathroom, breakfast, and clothes washing for 20 euro. And three course evening meal with wine for another 10 euro. It was a no brainer. Of course I ended up staying at the Casa Rural!



Don Quixote in La Puebla de Almoradiel


A shaded portion of the railroad right of way


Most of the railroad right of way looked like this, out in the open and with wine grapes on both sides, sometimes the carretera on one side 


The Casa Rural


The Church in Don Fadrique 


Scallop shells on the door of the church. The scallop shell is an important symbol of Spain's patron saint, Santiago. I have a real scallop shell on the back/of my pack to identify myself.


A closeup of the cast iron scallop shell

No comments:

Post a Comment