My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Monday, October 14, 2019

Burgos 14 October 2019



My last day of Camino walking. I left the lovely casa rural about 8 this morning and walked the 11 km or 7 miles to Burgos arriving at 10 am at the bus station, where I bought my ticket for tomorrow to Madrid. Of course, I saw hordes of Camino Frances pilgrims there, probably buying tickets to León to avoid the "boring" meseta (The high plains or meseta is anything but boring, in my opinion.) I then walked on to a nice simple hotel near the cathedral, dropped off my backpack since it was too early to check-in and headed off to visit the cathedral.  Imagine my surprise to see that it had started raining while I was in the hotel. I was lucky enough to avoid being rained on for the whole time of my camino (There were a few afternoon thundershowers during the Camino, but always when I was finished walking for the day). I did visit the cathedral, which is the fifth time I've been here.
So this concludes camino #8 for me, just under 400 miles in just under 4 weeks.


I took an alternate path into Burgos, the Via Verde, which is a trail built on an abandoned rail line. The grades were a lot gentler and easier with less elevation change but the same distance.

The last cultivated field before walking into Burgos

Lots of New World good

The Papamosca or "Devil Flycatcher"

Lots of ornate carving and inlay in the choir

Santiago Matamoros or Saint James the Moor Slayer

Nicknamed Buffalo Jesus

The cathedral in the rain

1 comment:

  1. As always, I so enjoyed taking this walk with you. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete