My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

San Esteban de Gormaz 9 October 2019


Internet too slow to add photos, will try later

My shortened day yesterday necessitated walking 30 km or 18 miles today. So I started walking at 7 am while it was still very dark. It was no problem as the first nine km were along the paved road from Caracenas to Fresno de Caracenas. No problem as I could hardly get lost and there was only one vehicle that passed by me the entire time. It was daylight by then and I left the pavement to cross over a few valleys until I was finally along the Duero river to finish my days walk. The Duero is a long river that goes all the way to the Atlantic Ocean in Porto, Portugal. I had previously been on portions along Zamora in Spain and the Duero wine region of Portugal, as well as Porto. Also Kathy and I had driven through here exactly ten years ago on our way from the La Rioja wine region to Segovia . Since it is a big river, it meant that most of today's walk was a descent to the river. Unfortunately, crossing it means that the next few days to Burgos will be mostly uphill.
I arrived here about 12:30 pm and checked into an hostel that also had a menú diario-see the photos. The Eroski supermercado is closed between 2 and 5 pm, but I will will walk back there to stock up on food. I haven't been able to find a grocery since Sigüenza on Saturday (nothing open in Atienza on Sunday, nothing at all in the small villages on Monday and Tuesday and questionable availability tomorrow). I will stock up and continue on tomorrow. Life is good!!



No comments:

Post a Comment