My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fuenterroble de Salvatierra 23 September

I needed to walk 33 km or about 21 miles today, so that the next two days into Salamanca would be manageable distances. It took 7 hours with a lot of ups and a few downs, so not too bad. This is somewhat mountainous land about 3500 feet in elevation at the summit. Much forested with some grazing land. It will be a lot of up and down again tomorrow before I descend into the plains around Salamanca. When I arrived at the albergue today, I saw many of the same walkers that I first met three or four days ago. They had walked on farther than I had two days ago, but my long day today made up the difference. It rained quite a bit last night, but luckily, the rain held off for most of the walk today, with only a few brief showers.

This is the way to see Spain. It is definitely not the tourist Spain of Barcelona, Madrid, and Sevilla, but very much the average, everyday workingman's Spain. And seeing it at 3 miles per hour gives you a much closer perspective. Lots of cows, brush, flies, and gravel! Right now I am sitting in the local bar and enjoying the only decent wifi in the village, all for only the cost of a glass of wine. At the next table are a group of local men, playing cards, they are getting pretty excited about it. 

What's not to like about walking through beautiful countryside like this?

Here is a selfie of me at a village fountain during a midmorning break

All the rain makes for some occasional muddy walking

More beautiful countryside descending from the day's last summit

No comments:

Post a Comment