My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Vilar de Barrio 6 October

My poor toes and feet need a bit of rest, so instead of walking the 22 miles I originally planned for today, I am breaking it into two days of walking. Today I walked 14 of those miles. The first 9 or so miles was a steady uphill climb. It was also very foggy and I could not see much of the mountain scenery. By the time I reached the top, marked by the wooden cross, it cleared enough to be able to see the valley below, along with my destination town of Vilar de Barrio. I got to the albergue about 12:15, but the farmacia next door says no one will be here until 1pm to open it. Hope they are right. It looks like the library building behind the albergue has free wifi, but the signal here at the albergue is weak. It's probably a good thing that I am not walking for another 3 hours this afternoon, as rain showers are predicted and as I write, it is starting to rain.

The foggy walk this morning

The Cruz madera (wooden cross) at the highest point of today's walk

Looking out over the valley on the descent

The Xunta albergues run by the Galician government have gotten a bad rap over the years, but all three that I have stayed in this time have been modern, clean, and I have no complaints


I also like the fact that the Xunta albergues combat the bedbug problem by providing every walker with disposable sheet and pillowcase that you know are clean and new and that you install them yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment