My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Gudiña 4 October

A shorter walk at 26 km (16 miles), but with a 300 m elevation gain in about 5 km of the morning walk. It was beautiful mountain trails, steep and rocky, but quite scenic. At the high point of the pass, I walked into Galicia.

A few km into the descent, I passed a few walkers with light day packs, some with none at all. Then I passed a few more, then more and more. I finally figured out that I was walking past a group of "bus pilgrims". Eventually at one of the road crossings, there was a modern bus waiting for them, with all their luggage on board, so they could take their leisurely strolls in comfort. Thank goodness, they are not here in the albergue today, they would have overwhelmed this place. 

Not a great photo, but this is the trail on the way up

Marker showing I walked into Galicia

The familiar Galician waymarks. Initially they had brass plaques showing the distance to Santiago, but these have mostly been pried off and stolen.

I've said that Galicia is cows, corn, and eucalyptus. Well, shortly after the border I saw my first eucalyptus.

The bus pilgrims

And more of them

And the bus

Rough terrain on the last part of the walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment