My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Madrid 17 October

Well, I wasn't going to post again, but my food critics want some photos so here goes. I did take the train from Santiago to Madrid today, arriving late afternoon. I took the Metro subway from the Chamartín station to the Anton Martin stop where I then booked a room for the next two nights at the Hostal Nieto, where I stayed last year. I made a grocery run to the Diá market for food items to take home that are hard to find in the USA. Then,  I walked to the Prado for the free admission between 6 and 8 pm. Sensory overload as this museum has got to have the world's largest collection of Rubens, Velasquez, Murillo, Zurbaran, El Greco, and much, much more. I make it a point to stop by every visit to Madrid. Following that, a stop in a restaurant on the Ronda de Atocha, I was hungry and the photos are shown below.



Some of the grocery items to take home: a Viña Pomal Reserva  2007, asparagus for ensalada mixta, bomba rice for paella, saffron, and two kinds of paprika.


My paella tonight. Okay, but not as good as the Salamanca paella.


Merluza a la Romana ( Breaded hake)


Kathy wanted to know why I didn't stay at one of the Tryp hotels. This one is less than 50 meters from my hostal, but is probably 3 or 4 times as expensive. Heck. I even have my own bathroom here in the hostal.

Only problem is the rock band that is playing tonight in the Plaza Anton Martin outside of the hostal. Hope they don't carry on too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment