My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Cadavedo 24 september

The worry today was whether I could get a bed in the 10 place albergue here in the small village of Cadavedo. So I walked on pretty steadily for the 15 miles to arrive here today. The walking was mostly on wooded roads with occasional views of the sea. The sea and the sky was so close to the same color that it was often difficult to tell where one ended and the other started. Anyway, I was the third person in here, just after a Spanish couple about my age.

After the usual shower and clothes wash, I went to the restaurant across the street and promptly had food coma for the second day in a row. My primer plato was fabadas asturianas, a dish that I have tried to reproduce at home. To find it done right, I guess you have to be in Asturias, and this place did it right. Large white beans, with the classic addition of onions, chorizo, morcilla (blood sausage), and salt pork, all seasoned with olive oil and paprika. I noticed the salt pork was much meatier than we seem to be able to find at home, plus I have been afraid to try it with the morcilla. The morcilla added some good flavor and taste, so perhaps I need to try some as well next time. The segundo plato was a light breaded white fish stuffed with a thin slice of ham inside the filets. I don't know how they did it, but it, too, was delicious.

Tomorrow my choices are to walk about 8 miles to the port city of Luarca or to go for about 20 miles to Pinera. I guess I will decide then. It is getting a bit cloudy, windy, and cool. Forecasts for the next week along the coast are for chances of rain,so I will need to be prepared for walking in the rain, which is never fun.



My Fabadas Asturianas



A view of the coast line on today's walk


The pilgrim


A view inside the restaurant where I had my mid day meal.

1 comment:

  1. Great...just went in search of a recipe for the stew!!

    ReplyDelete