My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Toro 11 October

Today's walk was a longer one at 34 km or about 21 miles. The first part of about 9 km between Siete Iglesias and Castronuño was up and down gentle slopes on farm roads. I stopped in Castronuño where the path meets the Rio Duero for an quick cafe con leche. I made a decision to vary my route from the hilly Camino path to a different walking path closer to the Duero until I got into the village of Villafranco Del Duero, where I had a snack stop for sheep cheese, chorizo, bread, and almonds. Total distance was about the same, but I enjoyed the closeness of the river. Beyond Villafranca, I followed the Camino path, which was pretty much the same as the river path. It turns out that Toro, my destination for the night, is on a very high bluff overlooking the river, so the last two km. involved a very steep ascent of that bluff. Not much fun after you've already been walking 6 plus hours already. Tomorrow will be another walk of about the same distance into Zamora, where I will complete the Camino Levante and my walking for this trip.


A pleasant farm road just outside of Siete Igesias


An old grain seeder. I have to wonder when they added the three point hitch.


The path along the Rio Duero just outside of Castronuño. 


That Claas combine is harvesting the nicest field of sunflowers I ever saw in Spain- shows what good soil and irrigation can do.


The steep road into Toro.


They built those old cities on the high bluffs for the strategic advantages of the fortress (alcazar). 


Looking back down-I crossed the bridge on the river just 2 km before.


My grilled salmon with homemade French fries. I've started to like the agua gaseosa (carbonated wanted) along with the wine. 





No comments:

Post a Comment