My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Arévalo 8 October

I started today's walk at 7:45 am, the sky lightening up, but no sunrise yet. Today, I walked 28 km or 17 miles. There were a few gradual upgrades, but mostly flat and some downhill. Nice, easy walking. The first half was through typical cultivated farm land. At about the halfway point just after 10 am,I walked into Tiñosillos. There, I spied the first bar that was open on this day's walk (remember, it is Sunday and so far I had only walked through several small villages). The Bar Volante was recommended by my guide book as having "un buen bocadillo"  ( a good sandwich). So I ordered my cafe con leche and a jamon y queso bocadillo (ham and cheese). I watched while the owner cut the ham from a long leg of cured ham- it was delicious. The second half of the walk was mostly through pine forests, some of which were tapped for their sap. The forest provided a cooler walk for the afternoon, but was in an area high in loose decomposed granite, which made for shoes full of that granite sand that needed to be periodically emptied. I walked into Arévalo around 2 pm and found a room at the Hostal Del Campo. I just finished a good menu del diá at their restaurant  downstairs. I will go out later to see if the Diá supermarket is open, but since this is Sunday, it probably will not be. Since I already had two good meals today, I can always wait until Monday to find a store farther down the road. 



Remains of an old threshing machine just outside Gotarrendura.


My cafe con leche and jamon y queso bocadillo for 10 am snack


The pine forest 


The sap tap


Another good ensalada mixta


I tried the albondigas (meat balls)  which were great. Now why can't they serve real potatoes instead of French fries. 


That great Spanish melon (better than honeydew)

No comments:

Post a Comment