My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Friday, October 6, 2017

Ávila 6 October

Today's walk was about 24 km (14 1/2 miles). The first 4 km were an easy, mostly downhill walk into El Herradon de Pinares. Next was a 5 km uphill, much of which was as difficult as yesterday's ascent. It involved some very steep washed out uphill slogs, with loose rocks, and wild rose bushes full of stickers. That 5 km took me almost two hours, around half my normal walking pace. Once I reached the Puerta de El Boqueron, I was able to get back to my normal pace though it was still uphill for a while. The final part of the walk was downhill into Ávila. I walked through the old walled part of the city, had a menu del dia, then went just outside the walls to check into the very nice albergue. I am writing this in the cathedral that Kathy and I visited in 2005.


It was a little dark when I walked out of San Bartholome



The steep uphill




Wild rose bushes over a small stream on the path 


The pass where I crossed the road 


But more climbing to go 



Empanadas for mid day mescal in Ávila 


The famous (reconstructed) walls of Ávila 


No comments:

Post a Comment