My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sarria


The Benedictine monastery at Samos.


A typical farm cart that was pulled by oxen. These are all over Galicia at most farms. Of course, they are not used anymore, just on display as yard art.

I did take the longer more country route of 15.5 miles today. The optional route is closer to the original pilgrim route, but also right alongside the modern highway. The route I took is along country trails and small farm roads. There were other hiking trails in the area which made for a cofusing day to keep on the right track, but I managed to do it without backtracking. There were no small villages as on previous days. Instead there were groups of three or four farmhouses often with a very small church. These are typical of the Galician hill country and they are called caserios. I arrived in Sarria about 1:30 pm. It is getting cooler here at night now, down into the mid 40's. But daytime temps are still in the low 70's. And clear skies. I just checked the forecast and it is supposed to be no rain in Santiago through at least next Sunday, which is when I hope to arrive. That much nice weather is almost unheard of here.

It will be interesting to see if we get a bunch of new pilgrims on the camino tomorrow. Sarria to Santiago is the minimum required walk to receive a Compostela (the certificate the diocese in Santiago issues for completing the pilgrimage). But already this late in the season the albergues seem less crowded. with many open bunk beds. Hopefully for that reason the pilgrim traffic may be lessening. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment