My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Sigüenza 5 October 2019



Beautiful scenery today walking up the Rio Dulce Valley. Spectacular rock formations on both sides of a sometimes narrow valley. Some day hikers were out and about as part of the area is in a national park, but I was the only long distance through hiker. The first sixteen miles were a gently rising slope of the valley, but just past La Peligrina, the route took a steep path over the mountain with a 1000 foot rise in the next three miles. The rest of the 24 miles were on a plateau followed by a descent to Sigüenza.  I am staying in a monastery right next to the cathedral. It is a room with three bunks, but hopefully I will have it to myself tonight. I did tour the surprisingly large cathedral for a relatively small city. Being a weekend, there were a fair number of tourists, mostly Spanish speaking. It even had an El Greco painting. I need to rest up for my 20 mile uphill day tomorrow.


Secreto Ibérico last night

The Rio Dulce valley


Narrow canyon here

Old Threshing machine

At a rest stop

Halfway up the steep climb. La Peligrina is the village with the castle ruins to the left

Up and up

El Greco's late work, The Annunciation

Fancy dude altar

Main altar

Note the Templar cross on this marble statue




No comments:

Post a Comment