My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Monday, October 7, 2019

Retortillo de Soria 7 October 2019



What should have been an easy 14 miles (24 km) was made more difficult by mostly uphill walking, including a steep rise of 700 feet in a mile and a half. Just out of Atienza, I met a woman out walking. She moved from southern California to Atienza 40 years ago (85 years old), but has a son who teaches in Chico. We had a nice chat. This is the area of the famous El Cid and most of today's walk coincided with the Camino El Cid. I arrived in Retortillo de Soria about 1 pm where there is a nice hostal, but no other services in town. I did check in there and, while they do not have a midday meal, they will prepare a dinner at 8 pm and a breakfast at 8 am. The guidebook warned that due to the depopulation of the Soria region that finding services in the small towns would be difficult!






No comments:

Post a Comment