My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Santiago, otra vez 9 October

It was a very nice walk into Santiago for the first 11 of the 16 km.It was hard to believe that it was mostly a dirt path through the pine and eucalyptus forests with not another person around; a nice end to my last day of walking as a peregrino.

The final 5 km was through the industrial area, then the outer residential area north of Santiago, not all of it very well waymarked. I did find my way partly by watching the sun to make sure I was headed in a southerly direction, since one does not get a long distance view of the cathedral spires on this route. I easily found my destination of the Hospedaje San Roque, where I will stay tonight. Afterwards I went to the pilgrim's office to get my second compostela of this trip, since I qualified by walking the 120 km from Ferrol.

I have a few days left in Spain. I could do more walking, perhaps to Finisterra, but I have done that twice before. Since I have already seen most of the destinations around both Santiago and Madrid, I decided last night to visit Cordoba. Along with Sevilla and Grenada, it was one of the big three cities with strong Moorish influence in Spain. I have always wanted to visit it, so here is my chance. I have a train ticket for Cordoba and will travel there tomorrow.


Less than five miles from the cathedral and still out on the forest path.

No comments:

Post a Comment