My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Santiago 2


The view from the bus window. It rained all the way back to Santiago

I boarded the bus in Finisterra this morning for the 2 1/2 hour ride back to Santiago. It was a strange feeling to know that my pilgrim days are pretty much over. I am a tourist now. It also came with an emotional sense of relief to know that it is over and that, God willing, I was able to accomplish what I set out to do five and a half weeks ago. I am thankful and happy that I was able to do it. I met many interesting people along the way, most I do not know by name, some by first name and country only, and a few that I would like to stay in touch wih. I did not feel these emotional moments last Sunday when I finished the first part of the camino since I knew I would be walking for a few more days. Now that the walk is over, I feel the emotions but also am happy to be done.

Those of you who have been following my blog know that I had originally planned to walk today from Finisterra to Muxia, another fishing village on the Atlantic. It would have been a long day at 19 miles. After my short walk yesterday, I studied my guidebook to find that there is a river along the way to Muxia with no bridge. This river can be forded at low water, but in rainy season (which is now), one must take a three mile detour to the nearest bridge. 22 miles and possible rain did not sound very appealing, so I made the decision yesterday to return by bus to Santiago this morning. I was vindicated by the fact that today has been the rainiest day yet. There was a steady rain all the way from Finisterra and it is still drizzling this afternoon in Santiago. The bus trip back was beautiful with most of it along the coastline, even though it was cloudy and gray. I arrived at the bus station about 11 am, then walked the two miles to the mom and pop pension that I stayed at last Sunday. Got a room, then took off for the Museo del Peregrinos and the Museo de la Catedral before they closed at 1:30. Then back to the room for shower and laundry chores. I was not able to find an albariño, so I tried a verdejo from the Rueda region. It was  Blume from the Pagos del Rey winery in Vallodolid. 3.55 euro a bottle and once again an excellent wine.

Kathy should be on her flight from San Francisco to Madrid by now, then another flight to Santiago. She should be getting here in about 24 hours (5 pm Saturday) and I can't wait to see her again after six long weeks. Anyway, keep following the blog as I will keep posting the adventures of John and Kathy over the next week. I don't know for sure yet where we will go or what we will see, no plans, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment