My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Olveiro


Wild brush country between Negreira and Finisterra


First glimpses of the Atlantic Ocean

This is the post for 20 October. I was not able to find any internet yesterday.

21 miles today. It was my longest distance walking yet. There were no good intermediate stopping points, except at about the halfway point. The camino here is very well marked and easy to follow, but much of it is on asphalt roads, which are harder on the feet and more dangerous.

It rained heavily one time today as I walked for about 30 minutes, showered a few other times, and actually had some sun the last part of the walk. Rain is predicted the next 4 days, but at least it is not raining the whole time.

Later: Olveiro is a small village of 200. No internet and barely one restaurant. The albergue is okay, but only one toilet and one shower each for the men and the women. The albergue is a restored farmhouse with walls two feet thick and two horreos (grain storage-look it u0p on Google). I finished my shower and laundry and am sitting in the kitchen with the thick stone walls. There is an open fireplace about 5 by 10 feet. I am looking out the narrow window at the rain, drinking a glass of red wine, reading my novel about Templars on my iPod Touch. There are flies all over, because the building next to us has pigs in it.Chickens and ducks down the street. Wow-Back to the real world in less than two weeks.

I failed to securely fasten one of the ties on my backpack this morning and 5 km down the trail realized that my GoLite windbreaker fell out. I did not want to backtrack to try and find it. I was hoping, but not expecting that a fellow walker would see it, and bring it to the albergue. And late this afternoon, one of the French men told me that someone had found it and was looking for its owner. 45 minutes later, the person who picked it up came looking and I was so happy to have it delivered as I will be needing it the rest of the trip. Most other pilgrims are very helpful in ways such as this.

2 comments:

  1. I was getting worried about you, but figured there was not much internet access on the way to Fisterra. Glad you got your jacket back!
    See you soon,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have encountered friendly people along the way!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete