My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Jarilla 21 September

Very tired and sore after another 19 mile day. Leg muscles ache, sore shoulders from the pack, and 4 toes that are starting to have the nails turn blue, meaning they will be gone soon. But I feel great and am glad I can do this. Tomorrow I will have a "rest day" of only about 12 miles. 

In the province of Extremedura, the towns and villages are spread farther apart, so one must often walk farther than desired to find a place to stay. Today that was the case, and I detoured about two kilometers to the highway to stay in a hostel (which is like an inexpensive hotel) for the night, as the next albergue was another  8 km up the path and no way was I going to walk that  far today. Several of the other pereginos that I met are also staying here. After arriving about 2 pm, I met up with Mike from Australia and Georgio from Italy, along with a new peregrina from Oregon, Linda, and we had a midday meal in the hostal. Mine was alubias blanco con chorizo (white beans with sausage) and trout with peppers. That hit the spot as I ran out of food to carry since the supermercados were closed last night due to the festival. Still no groceries as this is Sunday and nothing here is open, but I will be able to resupply tomorrow morning when I walk into the next larger town.

Ah, me gusto mucho España!

I have to post this photo of our gracious 79 year old  hospitalera from last night, Elena. In addition to providing us with an excellent albergue, she also phoned ahead to make our hostal reservations for tonight.

Some of the beautiful farm country we walked through today.

The Arco de Cappara, ruins dating from Roman times, on today's walk

No comments:

Post a Comment