My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Zamarramala 21 September

Today was my rest day after yesterday's strenuous walk.My hotel room turned out to be vey comfy and I slept in and relaxed. In the morning and early afternoon, I walked leisurely around Segovia visiting the cathedral and taking in the other sights, such as the Roman acqueduct and the Alcazar. 

I am on a quest to find bacalao (cod fish prepared in various ways) since I had some good dishes of it on previous caminos. There are literally hundreds of restaurants here and I finally found two with bacalao on their menus-most of the others seemed to have merluza(hake), trout, or salmon. I found two restaurants that served it and had my mid-day meal at one of them. It was okay, but not as good others I've had. Now I'm  wondering if I should have tried the other restaurant. Afterwards, I picked up my backpack from the hotel and walked the short, but steep, hill to the village of Zamarramala, about 2 km outside of Segovia. They have a nice albergue here that opened three years ago There is another pilgrim here tonight, a 40 year old Korean man, just starting this Camino. The walk tomorrow will be about 30 km or 18 miles, but has  little elevation change. I am now on the meseta (the high elevation plains of Spain) where mostly wheat and cattle are raised.

P.S. Sorry about the lateness of this post. I could not find any wifi last night or so far today. Also no cell service for my phone, either. 


The cathedral in Segovia from the terraza of hotel


My bacalao


The Roman aqueduct constructed with no mortar


The Alcazar



The 12 sided Templar church between Segovia and Zamarrarmala

No comments:

Post a Comment