My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Puente Duero 25 September

This posting is being done mid day Monday but I will post about today's walk later. This post is for Sunday. I had no wifi yesterday.

On Saturday, we were in Alcazaren. The Korean pilgrim got a all from a friend in San Sebastián walking the Camino Norte, so he took off on the afternoon bus to walk with him there. The two women that I met earlier in the day did stay at the albergue, however, so it was the largest group yet on this Camino. We had a not so great meal ( ensalada mixta and loom (ham)) at the local bar, which was one of only two bars open in Alcazaren. 

On Sunday's walk of 25 km (15 miles), I crossed the Rio Eresma one last time to arrive at the Rio Duero this afternoon in the city of Puente Duero. The Duero region in Portugal is a famous wine growing area, but here it is too cold and there are few grapes here. Today's crop land was mostly wheat and sugar beets, with lots of pine forest. The ground is soft, that walking is sometimes difficult because it is not packed  down well enough.

I arrived about 1 pm at the private albergue to find a very accommodating owner and hospitalero, Arturo. He made me feel at home, but better yet, he made me speak my atrocious Spanish. Hopefully the practice will lead to some improvement. I had my mid day meal at the nearby restaurant. My ensaladadilla was a potato salad with tuna and olives. That was fine as I guess I must need carbs, since I'm going to have to make a new hole in my belt tonight to cinch it up a bit tighter. The bacalao was good, too.

Afterward, the two women arrived at the albergue. Being that it was a Sunday night with all the local restaurants closed, Arturo took it on himself to cook us a meal of judias verdes, pastas, and tortilla espanola. Nice meal and nice conversation. The women will take a bus into Vallodolid. I will keep on walking, they may or may not make it to the same albergue tonight.



Walking out of Alcazaren

Mid day snack stop


I really like my Merrell hiking shoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment