My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Barcial del Barco 2 October

The first photos are those of a local group in Alija trying to load their float onto a flatbed truck for its trip to a festival tomorrow in León.

I was only going to walk as far as Benavente today and got there before 1 pm, but no mercados were open since it was Sunday and to find a key for the albergue would have required a steep climb to find it (and it may have been difficult, too, since it was Sunday). Most businesses here still just shut down.

Anyway, I walked on another 8 km to Barcial del Barco, a smaller village. It has a privately run albergue with dinner and breakfast for 18 euro, soI am giving it a try. Total walk today was 30 km or 18 miles.

The walk from Benavente to Barcial was interesting as it parallels an abandoned railway. The interesting part was when I had to get up on the overgrown rail bed to cross the Rio Esla and its floodplain.





At least they used walnuts on the wheel hub. All this took place just outside the albergue.


Walking just as it was just getting light


My lunch stop in Benavente. You can see the steep climb to get the albergue key


The overgrown and abandoned railroad 


The first bridge of four 


The longest bridge 


The Rio Esla 

No comments:

Post a Comment