My Camino Route in 2023

My Camino Route in 2023
This year (2023), I will be walking my tenth Camino in thirteen years. This time I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres from Zamora to Lalin, the the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The route is shown with the red line on the map.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Santiago de Compostela Sept 19

Starting the morning's walk from the albergue at Teo

Walking into Santiago

The lineup waiting to see the tomb of Santiago

The impressive main entrance to the cathedral

We met up later with the Austrians and Germans

Another great meal: pimientos, croquetas, shrimp, and ensalada mixta. I forgot to take the photountil we were halfway through the meal, sorry.


1:30 pm

Marge went on to Santiago by bus yesterday and stayed in the Hostal Barbantes where Kathy and I stayed last year. My stay in Teó last night was quiet and uneventful with English speakers, only Spanish or German. Gerhard and Chris joined in with the German speakers and I read quite a bit of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. No Internet. We got an early start at 7:30 for the walk uphill into Santiago. We arrived at 10 am and I did find a room for tonight, then set off to find Marge, who was going to go to the noon mass. You would not believe the crowds. Probably three or four times as many as last year. They are now limiting access to the cathedral and also not allowing backpacks. The crowds were lined up in three lines for hundreds of meters in each line. And the line to get a compostela (certificate for completing the camino) is three hours long. I did not know if Marge was already inside. I did find a room for tonight and set off to find Marge, who was going to go to the noon mass. You would not believe the crowds. Probably three times as many as last year. They are limiting access to the church and not allowing backpacks. I did not know if Marge was already inside but after an hour of circling the cathedral I finally found her near the cafe where Kathy and I had breakfast with the Australian lady last year. Now Marge and I are relaxing with a cafe con leche and bocadillo in cafe with free wifi for customers. It is getting harder to find free wifi out on the street. Hopefully we can get inside the cathedral later.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to Santiago! What are plans now?

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoyed the last hill into Santiago proper!! Found myself singing 100 bottles of beer under my breath the whole way up....only way to keep focus and keep moving!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that uphill into Santiago was tough on this route. I was spoiled by the mostly downhill walk into Santiago on the Camino Frances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right! You made it to Santiago. Lots of mileage on your daily walks. I want to try out a 7 or 8 mile walk with you when you get back to the uSA.

    ReplyDelete